|The 82nd Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade||The 83rd Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade||The 84th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade|
The 83rd Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was held on November 26th, 2009, in New York City and shown to viewers live on NBC that same day from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. EST. It was hosted by Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, and Al Roker. Participating celebrities included Cyndi Lauper, Andrea Bocelli, Jay Sean, Tiffany Thornton, Jimmy Fallon and The Roots, and Gloria Gaynor.
Listed below are the various Parade units that appeared in the 2009 line of march. Each unit is listed in several categories and sub-categories, in addition to the unit's sponsor
Bold indicates a new Parade unit, and * indicates a Parade element retired after the 2009 procession.
- Spider-Man (Marvel Entertainment) - 1st time
- Kermit the Frog (The Muppets Studio) - 6th time
- Abby Cadabby* (Sesame Workshop) - 3rd time
- Pikachu with PokéBall (The Pokémon Company International) - 4th time
- Shrek (DreamWorks Animation) - 3rd time
- Ronald McDonald (McDonald's) - 1st time
- SpongeBob SquarePants (Nickelodeon) - 5th time
- Sailor Mickey (Disney Cruise Line) - 1st time
- Snoopy as the Flying Ace (United Feature Syndicate) - 4th time
- Buzz Lightyear (Disney•Pixar) - 2nd time
- Dora the Explorer* (Nickelodeon) - 5th time
- Horton (Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment) - 2nd time
- "Super Cute" Hello Kitty (Sanrio) - 3rd time
- Smurf (Lafig Belgium/Sony Pictures Entertainment) - 2nd time
- Pillsbury Doughboy (Pillsbury) - 1st time
- Yellow Macy's Stars (Macy's) - 4th time
- Pumpkins (Macy's) - 7th time
- Harold the Fireman (Macy's) - 14th time
- Geometrics (Macy's) - 1st time
- Strawberry/Pistachio Ice Cream Cone (Macy's) - 6th time
- Basketball (Macy's) - 1st time
- Freida the Dachshund* (Macy's) - 4th time
- Beach Ball Cluster (Macy's) - 3rd time
- Arrtie the Pirate (Macy's) - 3rd time
- Planet Earth (Macy's) - 3rd time
- Baseball (Macy's) - 3rd time
- Snow Crystals (Macy's) - 4th time
- Cloe the Holiday Clown* (Macy's) -5th time
- Big Man Santa (Universal Orlando Resort) - 1st time
- Green Candy Cane (Macy's) - 4th time
- Red Candy Cane (Macy's) - 5th time
- Kit Charlie & C.J. Elves (Macy's) - 9th time (Charlie); 6th time (Kit and C.J.)
- Red "Believe" Stars (Macy's) - 1st time
- Green "Believe" Star (Macy's) - 2nd time
- Pilgrim Man and Woman (Macy's) - 5th time
- George Washington and Abraham Lincoln (Macy's) - 5th time
- Mom, Dad and Baby (Macy's) - 3rd time
- Energizer Bunny (Energizer) - 4th time
- Woodland Family Gathering (Ocean Spray Cranberries) - 2nd time
- Tom Turkey (Macy's) - 17th time
- Watering Can* (Macy's) - 9th time
- Doodlebug* (Macy's) - 2nd time
- 1-2-3 Sesame Street (NAMM, The National Association of Music Merchants) - 6th time
- Local Heroes Helping Everyday (Hamburger Helper) - 1st time
- International Cele-bear-ation Clock Tower (Build-A-Bear Workshop) - 3rd time
- Statue of Liberty (Macy's) - 17th time
- M&M's Chocolate Candies on Broadway* (Mars Snackfood US) - 3rd time
- Castle of Dreams (My Princess Academy) - 2nd time
- Pep Rally (Mike Miller & Associates) - 5th time
- Bridge to the Future (Hess Corporation) - 7th time
- There's A Party in My City* (Yo Gabba Gabba! Live) - 1st time
- Shine On! (Jimmy Dean) - 2nd time
- Jolly Polly Pirate Ship (Macy's) - 17th time
- The True Spirit of Thanksgiving (Oneida Indian Nation) - 2nd time
- Musical Innovation Bigger Than Life* (Gibson Guitar) - 3rd time
- Snoopy's Doghouse (United Feature Syndicate) - 4th time
- Santaland Express (Macy's) - 21st time
- Big Apple (New York Daily News) - 5th time
- The Care Bears Winter Fun-derland* (American Greetings) - 3rd time
- Marion-Carol Showboat (Macy's) - 8th time
- Winter Wonderland in Central Park (Delta Air Lines) - 1st time
- The Smurf's Mushroom House (Lafig Belgium/Sony Pictures Entertainment) - 2nd time
- Bountiful Harvest Cornucopia (Macy's) - 10th time
- Santa's Sleigh (Macy's) - 1st time
- NYPD Highway Patrol Motorcycle Unit - 25th time
- "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" Banner (Macy's) - 1st time
- Parade Pedicab (Macy's) - 2nd time
- GMC Banner (GMC) - 1st time
- Mounted Parks Enforcement Patrol - 26th time
- Big Red Shoe Car (McDonald's) - 10th time
- Mach 5 Speed Racer* (Speed Racer Enterprises) - 1st time
- NYPD Mounted Unit - 83rd time
- Calliope Wagon (Big Apple Circus) - 3rd time
- 1902 "U.S. Tableau" Circus Wagon (Big Apple Circus) - 3rd time
- Planters NutMobile (Planters) - 10th time
- "All the World Loves a Parade" Banner (Macy's) - 1st time
- Macy's REO Truck (Macy's) - 13th time
- Rocking Tortoise (Macy's) - 28th time
- Star Sound Unit #1 (Macy's) - 3rd time
- Macy's Parade Drum (Macy's) - 3rd time
- Star Sound Unit #2 (Macy's) - 2nd time
- Star Sound Unit #3 (Macy's) - 2nd time
- Rocking Lobster (Macy's) - 30th time
- Rocking Horse (Macy's) - 46th time
- Macy's Great American Marching Band (Nationwide), performed "Seventy-Six Trombones"
- Choctawhatchee High School Style Marchers (Fort Walton Beach, FL), performed "Defying Gravity"
- Franklin Regional High School Band (Murrysville, PA), performed "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend"
- Adair County High School Band (Columbia, KY), performed "Respect"
- Frank W. Ballou Senior High School "Majestic" Marching Knights (Washington D.C.), performed Medley of "Working Day and Night/Thriller"
- Pittsburg High School Pirates Marching Show Band (Pittsburg, CA), performed "Alive and Amplified"
- Morgantown High School Red & Blue Marching Band (Morgantown, WV), performed "Country Roads"
- NYPD Marching Band (New York, NY), performed "Chameleon"
- Harrison High School Marching Band (Kennesaw, GA), performed "Sweet Georgia Brown"
- Towson University Tiger Marching Band (Towson, MD), performed "Bill Chase Medley"
- Pickerington Central High School Marching Tigers (Pickerington, OH), performed "Jingle Bells/Sing, Sing, Sing"
- Parade Official Robin Hall
- Rose Syracuse (Parade Pedicab)
- Jane Krakowski, sang "With You, I'm Home" (Woodland Family Gathering)
- Sunny Anderson, Anne Burrell and Claire Robinson (Tom Turkey)
- Mitchel Musso, sang "Shout It" (Watering Can)
- The Cast and Muppets of Sesame Street, sang "What Makes Music?" (1-2-3 Sesame Street)
- Jay Sean, sang "Down" (Local Heroes Helping Everyday)
- Keke Palmer, sang "Top of the World" (International Cele-bear-ation Clock Tower)
- Miss America 2009 Katie Stam and 2009 NYC Marathon Winner Meb Keflezighi (Statue of Liberty)
- Alan Cumming, sang "That's Life" (M&M's Chocolate Candies on Broadway)
- Cyndi Lauper, sang "Set Your Heart" (Castle of Dreams)
- Gloria Gaynor, sang "I Will Survive" (Pep Rally)
- Ronald McDonald and McKids (Big Red Shoe Car)
- Boys Like Girls, sang "Two Is Better Than One" (Bridge to the Future)
- Speed and Trixie (The Mach 5 Speed Racer)
- DJ Lance Rock and the Cast of Yo Gabba Gabba!, sang "Party In My Tummy" and "Get the Sillies Out" (There's A Party in My City)
- Katharine McPhee, sang "Had It All" (Shine On)
- Ziggy Marley with Judah Marley, sang "Family Time" (Jolly Polly Pirate Ship)
- Iroquois Dancers (The True Spirit of Thanksgiving)
- Jimmy Fallon and The Roots, sang "Too Many Songs Medley" (Musical Innovation Bigger Than Life)
- Charlie Brown, Linus, and Lucy (Snoopy's Doghouse)
- Billy Currington, sang "People Are Crazy" (Holiday Express)
- Cheyenne Jackson, sang "Play To Win" (Big Apple)
- Big Apple Circus (1902 "U.S. Tableau" Circus Wagon)
- Carly Simon, sang "Let The River Run" (Care Bears Winter Fun-derland)
- John Pizzarelli & The Swing Seven, sang "I Wanna Play Santa" (Marion-Carole Showboat)
- The Cast of Days of Our Lives (Central Park Carriage)
- Andrea Bocelli and Emily Hughes, performed "White Christmas" (Winter Wonderland in Central Park)
- Smurf, Smurfette, and Papa Smurf (Smurf Mushroom House)
- Kermit the Frog and Tiffany Thornton, sang "I Believe" (Bountiful Harvest Cornucopia)
- Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus (Santa's Sleigh)
- Bearemy, Pawlette Coufur, Holly and Hal Moose
- Mother Goose & Friends
- Princess Skylar
- Captain Macy
- Clown, Band & Macy*s Parade Bears
- Chinese American Community Center Folk Dance Troupe (Hockessin, DE), performed "Buddha Lion Dance"
- NETSational Seniors & Net Kids (Brooklyn, NY), performed "Showdown"
- Team USA Jump Rope Team (Nationwide), performed "Bring the Noise"
- The Purple Peddlers (Zanesville, OH), performed "Hang On Sloopy"
- Spirit of Long Island Mounted Drill Team (East Iceland, NY), performed "Hooked On America"
- Mike Miller Dance Team (Nationwide), performed "Outer Space Techno"
- Stagedoor Manor (Loch Sheldrake, NY), performed "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"
- Varsity Spirit Cheerleaders (Nationwide), performed "Salute To America"
- Hair, performed "Aquarius"
- Bye Bye Birdie, performed "Put On a Happy Face"
- Billy Elliot: The Musical, performed "Shine"
- Shrek: The Musical, performed "I'm A Believer"
- The Radio City Rockettes, performed "New York at Christmas"
- Hi! Roller Skating Clowns - 5th time
- Confetti Clowns - 2nd time
- Rag Doll Clowns - 4th time
- Funny Farm Clowns - 16th time
- Safari Clowns with Butterfly Kites - 4th time
- Pre-K Clowns - 4th time
- Class Clowns - 10th time
- Keystone Cops & Robbers - 1st time
- Funny Firefighter Brigade Clowns - 11th time
- Parade Studio Artist Guild - 6th time
- Gnomes - 1st time
- Jester Clowns - 4th time
- Birthday Party Clowns - 15th time
- Malt Shop Clowns - 6th time
- Doggie Walker Clowns* - 16th time
- Silly Seaside Clown - 5th time
- Pirate Plankster Clowns - 3rd time
- Pool Hall Clowns - 1st time
- Wild, Wild West Clowns - 15th time
- Spacey Clowns and Stars - 2nd time
- All-Star Baseball Clowns - 8th time
- Sleepy Clowns - 10th time
- Cloe's Clowns - 5th time
- Holiday Clowns - 5th time
- Santa's Toy Box Clowns - 5th time
- Half Baked Holiday Sweet Clowns - 2nd time
- Toy Soldiers - 7th time
- Roosters - 6th time
- Flamingo - 1st time
- Butterflies - 1st time
- Jesters - 4th time
- Peg Leg Pirates - 2nd time
- Mardi Gras* - 1st time
- Toy Soldiers - 7th time
- Bakers - 2nd time
- Funny Farm Truck - 16th time
- School Bus - 4th time
- Fire Truck - 18th time
- Dog Catcher Vehicle - 10th time